Tuesday, March 23, 2010

A Cozy English Novel.



Helen Simonson’s Major Pettigrew’s Last Stand, is a nice relaxing read with a social conscience. Major Ernest Pettigrew begins a friendship with the local shopkeeper, Jasmina Ali, a woman of Pakistani heritage. Much to the dismay of his son and the people of his village of Edgecombe St. Mary, his friendship soon looks to be developing into something much stronger.

Meanwhile, there is the trouble between Abdul Wahid and Amina, Roger Pettigrew and everyone, the Major and his sister-in-law, a large building project that threatens village life, and a matched pair of prized shotguns. Join Major Pettigrew as he tries to come to terms with public opinion in Simonson’s first novel.

2 comments:

Elaine Jarvis said...

So what did you think? Did you enjoy this? Would you recommend it? I'd heard of it and wanted to check it out and see if it was something I wanted to read or not.

KLZ said...

Sorry, I guess I did not really say what I thought of it. It was an easy read with some humor. I would recommend it, but not to purchase. I think one should borrow it from the library.