Friday, August 13, 2010

A visit to Echo Park

The Madonnas of Echo Park by Brando Skyhorse is a fascinating look at the interlocking lives of an unlikely group of Mexican Americans in the Los Angeles area.  When Skyhorse was in the sixth grade, he insulted a classmate at a dance party by refusing to dance with her because she was a Mexican.  Later, Skyhorse learned that he, too, was a Mexican American.  He has been troubled by his behavior ever since and has speculated on the life Aurora Esperanza would have had after his beastly behavior.  This book is his tribute to his classmate.  I recommend spending some time with the inhabitants of Echo Park and taking a peek at their lives.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Have you read House on Mango Street? My son had to read it for 10th grade literature and so I read it and also read Madonnas. I think Skyhorse was heavily influenced by Cisneros. Was wondering what you thought?

KLZ said...

Yes, Leslie, I absolutely loved Mango Street, and I see the similarities. Thank you for your comment.