Wednesday, April 7, 2010

The Quest to Become the Smartest Person in the World


Esquire editor A.J. Jacobs, author of The Year of Living Biblically and The Guinea Pig Diaries began this series of quirky books about his obsessions with The Know-It-All: One Man's Humble Quest to Become the Smartest Person in the World.  His quest? to read the entire Encyclopaedia Britannica from beginning to end.  Sometimes informative, sometimes funny, always interesting, he takes us from a-ak to Zywiec with his self-effacing, humorous look at knowledge.  His search leads him to meeting Alex Trebek, an appearance on Crossfire, taking on a debate team, and finally to being a contestant on Who Wants to be a Millionaire?  Interwoven in his reading adventures is the more personal quest of achieving parenthood,and other stories of his family and friends.  I highly recommend any of his books.

2 comments:

Elaine Jarvis said...

Sounds interesting. I checked out A Year of Living Biblically but ended up taking it back to the library without reading it. I think I was more in the mood for fiction at the time.

KLZ said...

That's what took me so long with this one, I had a lot of fiction that I wanted to read, but once I caught up on the fiction, this just zipped by.