Sunday, January 24, 2010

My Busy Sunday and a Reading Update

Today I must begin work on my next class assignment. I am reading about and writing on the 2nd week of the Spiritual Exercises and the Prayer of the Senses. I have five topics to consider for my paper and have managed to get two of them into a rough draft. The next one is going to require a reread of the material - a short handout from Sandra Schneiders' The Revelatory Text.

I also finished yet another Jonathan Gash book, The Grail Tree. I have not mentioned what his books are about. They take place in a village in England. The main character, Lovejoy, is an antique dealer and a "divvie." A divvie is someone who can tell if something is an antique through his own internal senses: think of a water diviner for antiques. The books are murder mysteries with plenty of antiques information thrown in. I think any antique collector would enjoy them. I am not into antiques, but he talks about human greed frequently, and I confess that if I could make money off something priceless I just might.

The Grail Tree assumes that there has been a finding of the Holy Grail and the machinations of the various characters to acquire it and profit from it.

The Lovejoy books are irreverent, definitely chauvinistic and fun.

No comments: