Friday, November 16, 2007

Article from Columnist Phillip Morris in the PD 11.6.07

I am forever jumping on the social justice bandwagon. I just don't know what to do when I get there. A friend pointed out this article and to me it explains to those who say "why worry about what is happening over there, when there is so much going on over here" So, I thought I would put it on my page.

I know publishing someone else's article without permission is not kosher. However, since this "blog" is shared with no-one, I figured it would be OK. If not, maybe I can find a permanent link. Meanwhile, I added the link to my del.icio.us account so if I have to remove it, I might be able to send people to read it. Del.icio.us was one of the legal choices the Plain Dealer offered.

Atrocities stir young, fertile minds - Phillip Morris

Tuesday, November 06, 2007
Phillip Morris
Plain Dealer Columnist

I wrote about the phenomenon of sadistic rape in the Congo several weeks ago. The topic admittedly stretched the normal boundaries of a metro column. But only a few of you seemed to mind.

The general reaction to the terrifying notion that consensual sex is a rapidly fading notion in the Congo was met with three different responses, one of which is quite promising.

In no particular order:

Rank indifference:

"We can't get excited about [crime in] East Cleveland. Why should you expect us to respond to the Congo?" asked Bruce, a loyal reader.

Despair:

"Issues as large as the rape of a whole country of women daily confound me. What can we do?" Debbie asked in a note.

She pointed out that the country can solve a problem like the dog fighting of Atlanta Falcons Michael Vick. "We can fix him. We can take his money, his position, his good name. We have someone to punish."

But how do you fix Darfur, or AIDS, or racism, she asked.

Teenage action:

"Your article has informed me not only about the tragedies of the Congolese women but also of the whereabouts of the press," wrote Dominique, a ninth-grader at Cleveland's John Hay High School.

"I have now opened my eyes to news beyond my city's boundary." She wrote that her class is getting involved with stopthetraffik.org, which works toward stopping the growing crime of people trafficking.

Dominique's response is largely why I got into the column-writing business. Sparking thought is its own reward. Sparking a youngster into thinking about solutions is what makes this business my passion.

Dominique and her fellow classmates are using a social studies class to develop a world view. They are starting to explore the scope of responsible citizenship. They are beginning to fathom the idea that neighborliness extends beyond the realm of their familiarity.

They have challenged themselves to become educated and solution-oriented on the issue of modern-day slavery. That's exciting.

Too often, we underestimate the young. In public forums, we largely focus on their misbehavior or athleticism. As a society, we fail to cultivate their abilities to address our defining problems. We dumb them down and send them into the world better equipped to Google than to think.

"My main feeling about this [Congo] problem is anger," wrote Melanie, also a John Hay ninth-grader. "I'm so upset that there are serious problems going on in the world, and all the U.S. news can think about are Britney's rehab dates. What are they trying to hide from us?"

Melanie is starting to get it.

Part of saving our local children involves helping them realize that they are part of something much bigger than they can imagine. Once they're encouraged to care about a crime committed in Africa or a war committed in Iraq, perhaps they will begin to realize the power they have to help stop crime committed around the corner - or in Africa.

Local perspective sometimes requires a wide lens.

To reach Phillip Morris:

pfmorris@plaind.com, 216-999-5086

Previous columns online:

cleveland.com/columns


© 2007 The Plain Dealer
© 2007 cleveland.com All Rights Reserved.

No comments: